(+34) 647 081 143 info@whitesyachts.com

In Great-Britain the Royal Yachting Association (RYA – www.rya.org.uk) is authorized by the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA) to issue an “International Certificate for Operator of Pleasure Craft” with three categories: sail, power (split into two sub categories: less than 10m and over 10m LOA) and personal watercraft. These may be issued for Coastal waters or may also have an inland waters endorsement if the applicant has successfully completed a CEVNI test.

Previously this was available only to British nationals and residents; later extended to include nationals of countries outside the UNECE. From now on also Spanish nationals and residents are eligible due to changes in the approval granted to the RYA by the MCA.

In many European countries an ICC often allows a candidate to operate relevant craft for leisure purposes, but it is important to note that the final decision as to what qualifications are acceptable to the authorities of each country ultimately lies with the government of that country. It is always advisable to check with local authorities as to their requirements rather than making assumptions as to what they will accept as proof of competence.

For more information contact www.aiguaseaschool.com an approved RYA training centre on Mallorca.